Rajeswari Sainath - Bharatanatyam dancer, choreographer.


============================================================================================

Friday 02, October 2026, 07:25.


Rajeswari Sainath

Born Hyderabad, India

Occupations Bharatanatyam dancer, choreographer

Children Vyshnavie Sainath

Awards Kalaimamani (2018)

Rajeswari Sainath - Bharatanatyam (Sangeet Natak Akademi Awards (Akademi Puraskar) for the year 2024)

Introductions:


Rajeswari Sainath is an Indian Bharatanatyam dancer and choreographer based in Hyderabad, India. She is known for her performances and choreography, often collaborating with her daughter, Vyshnavie Sainath. Sainath has been recognized for her contributions to Indian classical dance, receiving the Kalaimamani award from the Tamil Nadu government in 2018.

Early life and training:


Rajeswari Sainath was born in Hyderabad, India. She began her Bharatanatyam training under Guru Indra Rajan and later continued her studies with other notable teachers. She developed an interest in rhythmic compositions and has worked with percussionists, including the late mridangam maestro Karaikudi Mani. Her training emphasized the mathematical precision of rhythms in Bharatanatyam, which influenced her choreography.

Career:


Sainath performs traditional Bharatanatyam recitals, adhering to the margam format, which includes a sequence of items such as pushpanjali, varnam, and tillana. She has also choreographed and performed Bharatanatyam ballets, including Sri Lalitha Vaibhavam, Rajsimha (based on Lord Narasimha), and productions tracing the river Godavari. One of her ballets focused on environmental themes, highlighting the importance of rivers. These works often incorporate complex rhythmic patterns, such as the khanda jati triputa tala, showcasing her focus on rhythm in dance.


Her performances combine traditional techniques with thematic narratives. For example, her ballet Ode to the River was presented as a tribute to the river Godavari, combining dance with storytelling. Sainath has performed at various cultural festivals and venues, including events organized by the Sri Krishna Gana Sabha.


Sainath frequently collaborates with her daughter, Vyshnavie Sainath, who is also a Bharatanatyam dancer. Their joint performances maintain the traditional structure of Bharatanatyam recitals. In addition to performing, Sainath teaches Bharatanatyam, emphasizing both technique and expression in her training approach.

Awards and recognition:


In 2018, Sainath was honored with the Kalaimamani award by the Tamil Nadu government for her contributions to Bharatanatyam. She has also been acknowledged for her performances at national and international dance festivals.

Rajeswari Sainath - Bharatanatyam (Sangeet Natak Akademi Awards (Akademi Puraskar) for the year 2024)

Personal life:


Daughter 

Rajeswari Sainath resides in Hyderabad with her family. Her daughter, Vyshnavie Sainath, is a Bharatanatyam dancer and often performs alongside her.

*****



VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/LtMv4vv_oNQ?t=7&feature=share

Rajeshwari Sainath and Vyshnavie Sainath

Profile


Dance Synergies

By Tejeswini Chakraborty & Jagyaseni Chatterjee

How were you introduced to dance?


Rajeswari Sainath: I was seven years old when I was first introduced to dance by guru Vazhuvoor K.R. Radhakrishnan through my school. My school had invited Sir to teach students after school hours, and I was one of the few interested. I learnt my basics under him for three to four years, but after that, he discontinued teaching in school as he shifted from Hyderabad to Rishi Valley, and our classes stopped. At that moment, I realised I did not want to let go off the In Conversation with Rajeswari & Vyshnavie Sainath Dance Synergies Tejeswini Chakraborty & Jagyaseni Chatterjee art form. I soon enrolled in Sri Rama Nataka Niketan and learnt under guru V.S. Ramamoorthy for a couple of years. I brushed up on my foundation and went through a small course there. Later, I got the opportunity to meet gurus Indira Rajan and Pandanallur Srinivasa Pillai during one of their visits to Hyderabad, and consequently, I continued my training with them.


Vyshnavie: Dance was always there in the house and was a natural choice for me. I was never forced to dance because my mother was a dancer. My father is a sportsman, and he was an international cricketer. My mother says I have tried to imitate others’ dancing since I was a toddler! As a child, I was quite athletic, which might explain why my choreographies often gravitate towards more athletic expressions on stage. I use Kalari and yoga to create challenging postures and show different characters in a way that might be considered a little acrobatic. I started performing on stage very early and got the Rukumini Devi Arundale Award for my first performance when I didn’t even know what it was.

*****

==================================================================================================

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pantula Rama -Carnatic Music, Singer,

Damayanti Joshi - Dance (Dancer, Choreographer, Dance Instructor (Kathak)

Devaki Pandit - Indian Classical Singer, Playback Singing